What kind of motorcycle licence can I get?

Motorcycle licences come with different engine size and age restrictions, so the type of licence you can obtain is largely dependent on your age and if you’ve already got a motorcycle licence, how long you’ve been riding for. The chart below shows which ages and engine sizes pertain to each licence type.

Licence Type Minimum Age Size of training bike Licence requirements Size of bike you can ride after passing training
AM 16+ 50cc Compulsory Basic Training (CBT), theory test, practical test on an all powered 2-wheeled moped. 50cc
A1 17 to 19+ 125cc Compulsory Basic Training (CBT), theory test, practical test 125cc
A2 19 to 24+ 500cc Theory and practical test (CBT must have already been obtained to completed these tests ) or 2 years’ experience on A1 motorbike and a practical test 35Kw (approx. 550 – 600cc)
A (full motorcycle licence) 24 + (or after holding an A2 licence for a minimum of 2 years) 600 cc CBT, theory and practical test at 24 years of age or older, or hold an A2 licence for minimum of 2 years and pass a practical test at age 21 or older Any sized bike