Your web browser is out of date

This website has been developed using modern web technologies. The web browser you're currently using is outdated and may not support such technologies and as such your experience on this website may be degraded.

See your options

What kind of motorcycle licence can I get?

Jas Murphy November 26, 2020

Motorcycle licences come with different engine size and age restrictions, so the type of licence you can obtain is largely dependent on your age and if you’ve already got a motorcycle licence, how long you’ve been riding for.

Beginners need to apply for their provisional licence before they can begin their motorcycle training journey. There is no test. You’ll simply need to provide proof of your age and address, then pay for your provisional licence application to be processed. When starting out with CBT training, you’ll need to show your provisional licence (or full driving licence) to the instructor. You’ll also need to pass a short eye test showing you can read a number plate from 20 metres away.

The chart below shows which ages and engine sizes pertain to each licence type.

Licence TypeMinimum AgeSize of training bikeLicence requirementsSize of bike you can ride after passing training
AM16+50ccCompulsory Basic Training (CBT), theory test, practical test on an all powered 2-wheeled moped.50cc
A117 to 19+125ccCompulsory Basic Training (CBT), theory test, practical test125cc
A219 to 24+500ccTheory and practical test (CBT must have already been obtained to completed these tests ) or 2 years’ experience on A1 motorbike and a practical test35Kw (approx. 550 – 600cc)
A (full motorcycle licence)24 + (or after holding an A2 licence for a minimum of 2 years)600 ccCBT, theory and practical test at 24 years of age or older, or hold an A2 licence for minimum of 2 years and pass a practical test at age 21 or olderAny sized bike

The right licence for you

If you’re starting your motorcycling career, you may need to work your way up to the licence appropriate for your dream machine. After gaining your CBT certification, Full Motorcycle Licence training, often referred to as DAS (Direct Access Scheme) is the fastest and easiest way to get a less-restricted licence.

If you’re not sure which course to take, speak with one of our team, and they’ll be happy to guide you to the best motorcycle training course for you.


Get more from our blog