Back / FAQ Training Instructor

Yes, there are two ways to do this. You can either purchase a franchise from Phoenix Motorcycle Training, or you can set up and run your own ATB motorcycle training centre, as long as you meet the various requirements and adhere to the DVSA’s rules on setting up and running your own ATB motorcycle training centre.

Yes, the minimum age requirement for working with Phoenix Motorcycle Training and running one of our franchises is the same as the DVSA rules.

No. 21 is the youngest that people are able to become motorcycle training instructors.

Not necessarily. If you are happy instructing CBT courses within the ATB that you trained with, there is nothing to stop you carrying on with this work. If you would like to advance to instructing DAS courses or providing Enhanced Rider skills training then further study and assessments would be required.

A ‘down-trained’ instructor works directly with a motorcycle approved training body (ATB)and is trained there by a DVSA assessed instructor. This method of becoming a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) level instructor enables people to instruct only within the ATB that trained them and only CBT courses. To instruct DAS or enhanced rider courses, further training and assessments are required.

The candidates we train to become motorcycle training instructors have excellent first-time pass rates. However, if you don’t pass your assessment on the first try, we would recommend further training in the areas your assessor identified as needing further work before returning to be re-assessed. Candidates are able to take both CBT and DAS instructor assessments a maximum of twice every 12 months. If you fail on the second attempt, you will need to wait a full year before reapplying for the assessment.

You’re not allowed to conduct either CBT or DAS training until you have received your registration certificate.

After completing both the CBT and DAS instructor assessments, you’ll be told if you passed or not. If you did, confirmation of the pass is posted to you. Once you have written confirmation, you’ll need to apply to the DVSA to become registered as a DVSA assessed instructor (for successful CBT assessments) or a DAS certified instructor. You should also notify your ATB of these certifications and registration.

There are three parts to the Direct Access Scheme instructor assessments. Part one covers theory and lasts around 15 minutes. Part two is all about on-site handling and will require you to help a CBT qualified rider develop their control of a large motorbike and select the best way to help them overcome their difficulties and instruct them appropriately. The final part of the assessment lasts around an hour and a half and involves you giving the assessor three on-road lessons.

Instructor assessments include a number of different elements, the first of which is an eyesight test – similar to that of your motorcycle licence test, although you’ll need to be able to read a number plate from a longer distance; 26.5 metre for new style plates and 27.5 metres for older style plates. If you fail this, the rest of the assessment will be closed to you.

Session 1 focuses on the first element of a CBT course – the introduction. You’ll be asked to deliver a lesson on the Element A section of the CBT curriculum.

Session 2 of the assessment will focus on the second element of the CBT course content: Practical on-site training. You’ll take a ‘novice’ rider through the controls of a motorcycle or basic machine check.

Session 3 & 4 covers the practical on-site riding element of CBT course work.

Session 5 focusses on element D of the CBT course, practical on-road training. You’ll be asked to deliver a lesson made up of three of the element D modules.

Sessions 6 – 7 covers element E of the CBT course; practical on-road riding. You’ll need to give instruction, correct faults made and direct your ‘novice rider’ on public roads with radio equipment.

CBT instructor assessments are usually done in small groups of three candidates at a time.

Aside from your own bike and safety kit (helmet, gloves, boots and appropriate clothing), you don’t have to take anything else to the assessments. However, you are allowed to take a notepad and pen along with any notes you may have made when studying to help you pass the tests.

You will need to bring your own motorcycle for the trainer assessments. Motorcycles must be fully insured, have road tax, be roadworthy and have a minimum power output of 20kW. Motorcycles that do not meet these requirements will not be accepted and the assessment will be canceled.

For motorcycle instructor training courses, we are able to supply appropriate motorcycles for the entirety of the course; however, it is advisable to use your own machine for all or part of the course as this is the machine that the assessment will be carried out on.

It is recommended that all of the official DVSA publications are studied before sitting any of the motorcycle training instructor assessments: The Highway Code, Know your traffic signs, Learning to Ride, Riding – the Essential Skills, and Theory Test for Motorcyclists. These booklets are available from most online and High Street bookstores.

Please contact us if you require further information about purchasing these booklets.

The assessments for becoming a CBT or DAS motorcycle training instructor are free. However, all candidates must complete an application form and book the assessment with the DVSA directly and meet certain requirements on the application form. A maximum of two failed attempts at the DVSA instructor assessments is allowed before candidates must wait a full year to try again.

Enhanced Rider Scheme instructor assessments do have a fee (currently £163.00) and can only be taken once the CBT and DAS instructor assessments have been passed, or you can attend an ERS Instructors course if you don’t want to go down the DVSA CBT and DAS instructor route. 

The assessment to become a CBT instructor takes two days and takes place at the DVSA’s training and development centre in Cardington, Bedfordshire. DAS instructor assessments take a half-day and take place at the same venue.

No, all DAS instructors must first successfully complete their two-day assessment to become a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) instructor with the DVSA before they can move on to becoming qualified to provide DAS training. DAS instructors must also be over 21 years of age and have held a full category A2 or A motorcycle licence for a minimum of three years.

That depends on the location you want to work in, if there is a Phoenix school in your area, we can send your details to the local manager and they will be in contact if they have vacancies. Or alternatively, you can open your own motorcycle franchise.

Yes, instructors must be 21 years old or older and have held a full A2 or A category motorcycle licence for a minimum of three years.

No. All qualified motorcycle trainers must work with a motorcycle Approved Training Body (ATB). Phoenix Motorcycle Training is a recognised ATB, this recognition extends to all of their franchises also.

Yes – down-training and completing a range of instructor training courses and successfully passing the associated assessments are the two ways to become a qualified motorcycle training instructor. Sitting the instructor courses and then taking the relevant assessments is pretty straight forward, and you can check our instructor training courses here.

Down-training, on the other hand, is less well known and involves working directly with a motorcycle approved training body (ATB) and being trained there by a DVSA assessed instructor. Becoming a motorcycle training instructor via the down-training route enables you train at the Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) level only and only within the ATB that trained you. Of course, you can then go on to take the DVSA assessment to enable you to take your CBT trainer qualification elsewhere or to take further training and assessments that will allow you to instruct on Direct Access Scheme courses and Enhanced skills courses.

Once you’ve achieved your certification to instruct riders on CBT and DAS courses, you may wish to become a fully qualified motorcycle trainer recognised by the DVSA. You’ll need to take a DVSA special test that will test your motorcycling skills to the highest standard. Once you’ve paid the fee (currently £163.00) and passed the assessment, you’ll be able to register to become a DVSA enhanced rider scheme trainer and provide enhanced rider training.

Obviously you’ll need to be comfortable with riding a motorcycle, but this is only the beginning of the skills and aptitudes that need to be displayed by a great motorcycle instructor. Sympathy for new riders, customer service skills, being able to attentively listen to students so you can adjust the training to meet their needs, and of course, the ability to complete all the administrative tasks associated with being a motorcycle training instructor is also required.

Yes, instructors can choose to become qualified for CBT instruction, DAS instruction and Enhanced Riding skills instruction. To become a DAS instructor, you must first successfully complete the CBT instructor assessment. Enhanced Rider skills instructor training is provided only by 4 different bodies, including Phoenix. These courses have different requirements to that of the DVSA.

Yes. Anyone who wished to take the assessment to become a motorcycle training instructor must have held a full A2 or A category motorcycle licence for a minimum of three years.